2024 COVERS

Lawless In Leather
Winterfall Destiny
Mated to the sapphic orc
Fae's Fate
Broken: A Romantic Science Fiction Eco Adventure
Wolf's Prize
Knightqueen
Wicked Ways
Unbreak My Heart
Curiosity Killed the Vampire
From Across the Sea
Angel In Armani
Edge of Night
The Witch's Tangle
Three Vampires And A Baby
Banshee, Death and Disarray: Holly Harrow: A Point Muse Cozy Paranormal Mystery
Damaris: A Scifi Alien Romance
The Shattered Court
Moon Blessed
Falling for Mr. Fake It

2024 covers

Welcome to the Dark Side!

We are writers mainly from Australia and New Zealand who write speculative fiction with romantic elements. Be it fantasy, paranormal, dark urban fantasy, futuristic and everything in between.

Thursday 29 August 2024

DarkLight On... LJ Swallow!

 



Welcome LJ!


How did you come to write paranormal / fantasy romance? What attracted you to the genre?

I’ve always read paranormal and fantasy more than other genres, starting with discovering The Hobbit when I was ten, and then I loved the Anne Rice books in my teens. I enjoy creating worlds and crafting every aspect so readers can immerse themselves in something completely different to normal life.



You have written more than one academy series. What do you enjoy about writing these?

My academy series are all linked in the same universe so part of the enjoyment comes from how my readers love and respond to the world I created, not just the academy aspect. Once I began writing Nightworld Academy, the world grew, and other characters emerged who had very different stories. Since writing the second series, Ravenhold Academy, some characters have crossed over into the latest Nightworld Academy books as a big battle between good and evil continues! I’ve also had a lot of fun writing a linked academy series set in their world’s future featuring the daughter of a main character.



  

  


Are you a plotter? Panster? Or somewhere in-between?

I’m a pantser! I’ve tried plotting but can never stick to an exact outline. Instead I look at the typical 3 act structure, write a few notes about crucial scenes, and then start from there. Often characters and the story go in different directions than I planned but that’s part of the creativity that I enjoy. Even if that makes the first round revisions hard!



Do you have a favourite of your characters?

That changes depending on what I’m writing at the time. I love the complicated characters who readers might go from hating to loving as their story unfolds. Currently that would be a tie between the morally dark grey Dorian Blackwood from Ravenhold, and his smart but unhinged daughter Violet from Thornwood Academy. They’re both fun to write, especially as they grow so much throughout their stories.




Tell us about your latest release?

I’m about to release Thornwood Academy 5: Dance With Death which is a paranormal academy/murder mystery where humans attend school with vampires and witches. Violet and her three guys are investigating recent deaths in the town and academy as she clears her name. The half-vampire, half-witch is learning social skills so that’s helpful, but the threat against her friends is growing.



What are you currently working on?

I’ve just started writing Thornwood Academy 6 in order to finish up the series. I’m also working on the last Nightworld Academy book (book 10) as I tend to jump between projects.



What can we expect from you in the future?

I’m not sure as my writing schedule has slowed down a lot recently and I haven’t thought too far ahead. I have a couple of other series that need finishing up too—both romantic fantasy—but I expect I’ll go back to YA/NA paranormal. I’m enjoying the murder mystery part of Thornwood Academy so may explore more along those lines.

 


What are you currently reading/watching?

I’m reading the latest Holly Jackson book, and I’m watching the German show Dark on Netflix for the second time.



Dance With Death

Book 5, Thornwood Academy

Thornwood Academy’s darkling detective is back for more as she continues to investigate the truth behind Madison's death and pursues those plotting against the supernatural council.

Dance With Death is the fifth book in a new YA supernatural academy series from LJ Swallow,author of the Nightworld Academy books.

The Thornwood Academy series features a girl who isn't afraid to use her dark side, a magic school where humans mix with vampires and witches, and the three guys who she’d like to stay alive.

Other books in the series must be read first.


Buy





LJ Swallow

LJ Swallow is a USA Today bestselling paranormal romance and urban fantasy author who is the alter-ego of contemporary romance author Lisa Swallow. Giving in to her dark side, LJ spends time creating worlds filled with supernatural creatures who don’t fit the norm, and heroines who are more likely to kick ass than sit on theirs.

Find LJ at her website.



No comments:

Post a Comment

check out all our books on our dsdu-books shelf:
DarkSide DownUnder's book lists (dsdu-books shelf)