2024 COVERS

2024 covers

Welcome to the Dark Side!

We are writers mainly from Australia and New Zealand who write speculative fiction with romantic elements. Be it fantasy, paranormal, dark urban fantasy, futuristic and everything in between.

Saturday 24 February 2024

DarkLight On...Efthalia!

 

Welcome back to our DarkLight On column. It's been a while and we're rebooting to bring you more from our DarkSiders. The DarkLight On column concentrates on the author. 

First cab off the new rank is Efthalia.


Welcome to Efthalia!


You write paranormal romance based on Greek mythology. What attracted you to writing this?

I have always had a love for Greek Myth so naturally when I started reading paranormal romance there were a lot of authors using Greek myth. When the time came for me to write it just naturally came out, and it has never been a part of the writing where I have had to think hard about it, which is a bonus. With everything else I am always using my research assistant… google. ☺ 



Congratulations, you recently achieved a B.A. in Ancient History and Archaeology. What was your favourite part of your degree?

Thank you so much. It only took me eight years!! I was One Hundred percent a part of the furniture at Sydney Uni. Lol.

I think because it was a double major, I got the best of both worlds. My focus in Ancient History was Ancient Greek religion and women’s roles and then from the archaeological perspective, I focused on ancient women through iconography on pottery to tell a story of their roles, as well as through housing. It is a long-held belief when we think of ancient women and their roles that they were invisible and hidden away, but the truth is, they were far from that.  




How did you manage to fit writing while studying?

It was difficult in many ways, and I think I committed the cardinal sin in writing… it took me four years to get the next book out. I was dealing with study pressure, family, and family. With my parents getting on in age their health matters increased, and I found myself being spread very thin. I managed a few paragraphs here and there just to try and stay in the story, but it was insanely challenging. Then I dropped to a few subjects each semester and managed to get some words down. At least then I stopped feeling guilty. I don’t know about other writers, but for me when I am not even writing just one sentence a day, I feel guilty. 



Did you use your studies to help in your world building?


I didn’t use my studies to world build, but in book two of my Phi Athanatoi series it is very evident where my studies dropped into the storyline. Ancient artefacts, spells etc, etc, and it all seemed to fit in with the plot. Kind of a serendipitous moment. They were thing that had not been planned in my original outline. 



What are you currently working on?

I am working on Two Times the Curse, book two in the Willow Witch Chronicles. 




What is your favourite part of writing?

That moment when the whole world disappears, and it is just you and your characters. That’s just magic. 




How do you find the social media side of an author’s life?

OMG… biggest time sap. If you don’t set a limit for yourself, you could lose hours just trying to come up with fresh content.  Most of us use the old master slave route. Post one place then it posts to others which saves time, but what I have found is that this type of posting can lead to low views and interaction. I have noticed that posting fresh content on the different platforms tends to perform better, but as I said if you posted different posts for each platform you end up spending hours going in and out of all your accounts. 

In summation and I am going to be very cliché, it is a necessary evil. As much as we may love or hate it, we have to do it. It’s the way of things.  


What are you currently reading/watching?

I just finished watching Loudermilk on Netflix. Totally recommend it for a few laughs.  

I’m currently reading Enemies at Home by Lindsey Davis and I am also reading the last Sookie Stakchouse book. I swore I would never read the last novel because I had read too many spoilers, and I was disappointed to learn that Sookie doesn’t end up with Eric. I finally thought I need closure on that series. Lol it took me long enough, eh? 



Thanks Efthalia!


You can find Efthalia at her website.


Latest Release

One Wolf Next Door

Book 1, The Willow Witch Chronicles

A Witch. A Wolf. And defective magic.

Samantha Willow is a defective witch. Her magical powers are useless, and her coven has turned its back on her. Her comfortable and serene lifestyle is short-lived when a new neighbor moves in next door. Romance was not on the agenda. To add to her problems, one of her customers ends up dead, and the police want answers.

Dex Lycophron, wolf, and immortal warrior has had enough of fighting for humanity. He wants to put his feet up and relax, but when he gets a whiff of his delectable witchy neighbor, he knows he's not going to rest until he claims her as his mate. But to do that he must return to the world and connections he left behind.

Will the Witch admit that they belong together?





Buy

Direct from author


~~

Happy Reading!

Be safe and well.

No comments:

Post a Comment

check out all our books on our dsdu-books shelf:
DarkSide DownUnder's book lists (dsdu-books shelf)