2024 COVERS

2024 covers

Welcome to the Dark Side!

We are writers mainly from Australia and New Zealand who write speculative fiction with romantic elements. Be it fantasy, paranormal, dark urban fantasy, futuristic and everything in between.

Thursday 11 November 2021

Magic Thursday: Welcome to Confession time with Kelly Ethan!


Welcome to Kelly Ethan’s world of cozy paranormal murder mystery. 


I confess I’m addicted to murdering…fictional characters ;) 

I started writing fifteen years ago and cut my teeth on Paranormal Romance. But over the years, magic, mystery, and mayhem dug their claws into my writing bones. I binged on Poirot, Frankie Drake, Miss Fisher, anything cozy and murderous and if it contained the odd shapeshifter or vampire? Even better.

I realised I loved writing chaos and mayhem with a paranormal twist. Considering the years, I spent moving around Australia with my soldier husband and the fact I’m now dealing with a ferocious hellhound, this is not a surprise.


Then I came up with an idea for my first cozy and The Killer Knight and the Murderous Chairleg and the Point Muse Cozy Paranormal Mystery Series were born. The rest, they say, is history. Or in my case, a graveyard of fictional bodies.

Enjoy my twisted, chaotic and sometimes hilarious world. Just watch out for that hot tea. The first sip is murder.


Cozy What?

I write cozy paranormal mystery. Most people, when they ask what I write, leave confused when I mime stabbing motions accompanied with a sweet smile.


Here’s the Wikipedia definition:

Cozy mysteries, also referred to as "cozies", are a subgenre of crime fiction in which sex and violence are downplayed or treated humorously, and the crime and detection take place in a small, socially intimate community. Cozies thus stand in contrast to hardboiled fiction, which features violence and sexuality more explicitly and centrally to the plot. The term "cozy" was first coined in the late 20th century when various writers produced work in an attempt to re-create the Golden Age of Detective Fiction.”



Clear as mud?

Basically, a cozy murder will generally take place in a small town, sometimes a village. Most likely all the suspects know each other and quite often there’s a nosy gossip who helps the sleuth gather evidence. There should be no graphic violence, swearing or open-door sex. The swearing part hurts me…I’ve been known to drop the odd one ;) Torture need not apply in a cozy mystery.  And most of the time the crime happens off the page. I like to write victims who aren’t so nice or who have a vice. Makes for a more interesting victim.

I also like to have red herrings or false clues sprinkled throughout my stories. Don’t we all love the twists and turns in a cozy? 

The hero or heroine in a cozy mystery is always amateur. No police detectives need apply. They are generally back-up for my plucky heroine or a spunky policeman out to arrest her for a crime she didn’t commit. 

Favourite jobs for our amateur sleuth are librarian (my personal fave), café owner, bakery owner, florist, caterer, bed and breakfast owner, gardener, crafter, cat/dog owner, candle/herb shop owner, bookstore owner and many more.

The sleuth is smart, curious, stubborn and a fantastic puzzle solver. People tend to like and trust the sleuth…and divulge gossip which helps to solve the mystery. 


Cozy mysteries are a read you feel at home with, and the reader soon becomes addicted.


I know I am ;)



Let the mayhem begin…

Kelly Ethan

Author of small town magic, mystery and mayhem…

kellyethan.com





The Killer Knight and the Murderous Chairleg out now!!



Check out the rest of the series 

 










and pre-order the December release:



No comments:

Post a Comment

check out all our books on our dsdu-books shelf:
DarkSide DownUnder's book lists (dsdu-books shelf)