2024 COVERS

Lawless In Leather
Winterfall Destiny
Mated to the sapphic orc
Fae's Fate
Broken: A Romantic Science Fiction Eco Adventure
Wolf's Prize
Knightqueen
Wicked Ways
Unbreak My Heart
Curiosity Killed the Vampire
From Across the Sea
Angel In Armani
Edge of Night
The Witch's Tangle
Three Vampires And A Baby
Banshee, Death and Disarray: Holly Harrow: A Point Muse Cozy Paranormal Mystery
Damaris: A Scifi Alien Romance
The Shattered Court
Moon Blessed
Falling for Mr. Fake It

2024 covers

Welcome to the Dark Side!

We are writers mainly from Australia and New Zealand who write speculative fiction with romantic elements. Be it fantasy, paranormal, dark urban fantasy, futuristic and everything in between.

Thursday 1 August 2024

DarkLight On...Debbie Johansson!

 



Welcome Debbie!


How did you come to write gothic fiction? What attracted you to the genre?

I grew up watching a lot of horror and suspense movies, and anything from Alfred Hitchcock or starring Vincent Price were always a favourite. Seeing Picnic at Hanging Rock for the first time on the big screen captured my attention when it came to Australian Gothic, but it wasn’t until I discovered the book Dragonwyck by Anya Seton, that my love of the genre was absolute. I enjoyed the supernatural elements, the mystery, suspense, and dark themes throughout both stories, and of-course, the horror. One portrayed the horror both within a home and within us all, while the other displayed the unknown horrors of the Australian landscape. Gothic Fiction incorporates many different genres and draws on our emotions, making it fun to write. So, within the gothic genre, anything is possible!



What do you love about writing short stories?

Short stories are quicker to write than a novel (notice I didn’t say easier) and can be used in a variety of different ways, such as reader magnets for newsletters, anthologies, competitions, or they can be published independently. They’re also a great way to tighten your writing when it comes to the novel.



Are you a plotter? Panster? Or somewhere in-between?

I’m probably somewhere in-between. I’m what Becca Syme calls a “bread machine,” as I need to cook ideas/scenes/characters, etc long before writing anything down. It can take me some time before writing anything! Once I’ve started to get to know my characters and the story plot, I then jot down the main points I want to see happen in each chapter or scene from beginning to end. By this time, the characters have started taking on a life of their own, but I tend to keep a bit of a hold on them to go along with the plot. However, if they steer me in a direction that would make the story and/or them better, I’m happy to go along with it.



Do you have a favourite of your characters?

I’d say it would have to be Eleanor from my short story, The Ghost at Willow Creek. It was the first story I indie published in 2019. Being my first published book, it holds a special place, and because I felt an emotional bond with her (and yes, I did cry a few times while writing it). Inspired by a grave at a relation’s property, I could relate to her as a mother and as a farmer’s wife.



Do you have advice for emerging writers?

If you want to be published, you need to be prepared to be in it for the long haul. With that in mind, stick to writing what you love, in the genre you love. The general advice out there is to write with a particular reader in mind, but I believe that can be distracting when first starting out. Instead, focus on writing for yourself. Have fun!



Tell us about your latest release?

The Witch’s Curse is the short story prequel to my Marsden Hall novella series. It is based on a true story I discovered from a book on Australian ghosts. Apparently, during early settlement in South Australia, a religious community believed one of them was a witch. I found it a fascinating piece of history, and I knew there was a story (or in this case, a few stories), I could gleam from it.



What are you currently reading/watching?

Lately, I’ve decided to revisit some Victoria Andrews novels. I read the Flowers in the Attic series when I was a teenager, but that’s all (and I have only a vague memory of it). Recently, a writing buddy told me they could see me writing something like Victoria Andrews, so now I’m reading My Sweet Audrina, which I’ve heard is different to her usual books.



What can we expect from you in the future?

I’m currently working on my first Gothic novel. It’s a bit different to anything I’ve previously written, so I’m excited to see how it all turns out.  



The Witch's Curse
Prequel, Marsden Hall


Their crimes are her revenge.

After the death of her husband, Abigail Muller yearns for a peaceful life. The community, led by the lecherous Pastor Thomas, believe she is in the thrall of the devil.

Will her protestations save her life, or will the community be cursed forever?

A short story, this is the prequel to the Marsden Hall novella series.

Warning: Includes scenes that may disturb some readers.

Buy






Debbie Johansson


Debbie Johansson is a writer of Gothic Fiction and Romance.

She is fascinated by the paranormal, mysteries, and the unexplained. Debbie loves history, exploring old houses, cemeteries, and abandoned buildings.

​In recent years, she has experienced ghostly encounters at various haunted locations, including Monte Cristo Homestead and Q Station, Sydney.

When not writing, you can usually find her either gardening or going for nature walks, daydreaming the stories in her head.

Debbie lives in rural New South Wales with her husband, two children, and a dog named Fox.. 

Find Debbie at her website: debbie-johansson.com


4 comments:

  1. Love your logo, Debbie! I totally agree with you ... write what you love and fun. Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved learning more about you, Debbie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Eleni. I had fun with the questions. Much appreciated! :-)

      Delete

check out all our books on our dsdu-books shelf:
DarkSide DownUnder's book lists (dsdu-books shelf)