2024 COVERS

Lawless In Leather
Winterfall Destiny
Mated to the sapphic orc
Fae's Fate
Broken: A Romantic Science Fiction Eco Adventure
Wolf's Prize
Knightqueen
Wicked Ways
Unbreak My Heart
Curiosity Killed the Vampire
From Across the Sea
Angel In Armani
Edge of Night
The Witch's Tangle
Three Vampires And A Baby
Banshee, Death and Disarray: Holly Harrow: A Point Muse Cozy Paranormal Mystery
Damaris: A Scifi Alien Romance
The Shattered Court
Moon Blessed
Falling for Mr. Fake It

2024 covers

Welcome to the Dark Side!

We are writers mainly from Australia and New Zealand who write speculative fiction with romantic elements. Be it fantasy, paranormal, dark urban fantasy, futuristic and everything in between.

Saturday 25 May 2024

DarkLight On...Janni Nell!

 



Welcome Janni!


How did you come to write paranormal cozy mystery? What attracted you to the genre?

The humour, the first-person voice and the freedom to play around with magic. I’ve always loved mysteries, but I never thought I could write a cozy…until I did.


Tell us about your first publication?

In 2010, I was lucky enough to have the first book in the Allegra Fairweather series (non-cozy mysteries) chosen as one of the books for the launch of Carina Press. I owe a great deal to my lovely editor, who was hugely supportive during the journey to publication. In an interesting plot twist, we are now both writing cozy mystery series. 

Check it out her work here.

 

Are you a plotter? Pantser? Or somewhere in-between?

My process has evolved from being a total pantser to a weird hybrid. Since I now write mysteries, I need to know the victim and, at least, some of the suspects and their motives before I start writing. (At that stage, I don’t always know who is the killer.) When I’m about three quarters of the way through the first draft, I’ll go back to the beginning and make sure all the clues etc are in place before I plan the last quarter of the book, where the killer is revealed.


Do you have a favourite of your characters?

I loved Allegra and Casper from the Allegra Fairweather series. Unfortunately, many aspects of the series became dated over the years and, though I have the rights back, I haven’t worked out a way to rewrite these books to present-day standards.


Do you have advice for emerging writers?

Okay, I don’t want to depress anyone, but the fact is that more books are coming onto the market all the time and AI will only make the marketplace more crowded.

So, my number one piece of advice is: Keep your expectations realistic. Publishing is a marathon not a sprint. 

Number two: Be true to yourself. Nobody knows exactly what’s going to sell. And, since writing a book is no easy thing, you might as well enjoy the ride as much as possible.

Number three: Don’t compare yourself to others. Everyone’s journey is different. Just as everyone’s definition of success is different.


What are you currently reading/watching?

I’m reading A Day of Fire, which is six linked stories about Pompeii. Each story is written by a different author, including Kate Quinn. She’s the reason I bought the book, but I’m discovering some other new-to-me authors. Win-win.   

I’m watching Belgravia: The Next Chapter. Lots of secrets and drama. So much fun! 


What are you currently working on?

Book seven in the Little Shop of Spells Series. I can’t say too much about it yet, but I’m hoping to have it released before the end of 2024.


What can we expect from you in the future? 

More paranormal cozy mysteries. Back in the day, I never imagined writing mysteries of any kind or writing in the first person. Funny how things change.

 

Thanks for having me on DarkSide DownUnder. It’s been fun! 😊

~~~


Janni Nell

Janni Nell is the author of paranormal cozy mysteries. Before she became a writer, she worked as a personal assistant, receptionist and salesclerk. Now she is happy to spend every day creating stories. When she isn’t writing, you can find her at dance class, Pilates or in the garden. 

Visit Janni's website




Latest release

Sleuth without a Clue

Book 2: Kangaroo Cove Mysteries

Briony Kipp, forty-two and almost-divorced, has bought her dream home! Okay, it’s tiny and in need of renovation, but it’s hers. Moving house has its challenges, but discovering the previous owner was murdered is a whole new level. Even worse, the killer hasn’t been identified. Looks like Briony has a new mystery to solve. But where to start?

At first, she doesn’t have a clue. Then she finds a hidden journal. Now she has more suspects than she can handle. Everyone and their dog seem to have a motive for murder. Well, except for her own newly adopted dog, who is loving life in the new house.

When Briony discovers a link between the previous owner’s death and a twenty-year-old cold case, she knows she’s getting close to the truth. Stirring up old secrets can be dangerous and Briony knows she’ll have to move fast to outsmart the killer before she becomes the next victim. 





Grab your free copy of Secrets, Spells & Murder here:

Amazon | Kobo | Nook

Also available on Apple and Kobo Plus.

Trouble is brewing in the small town of Silver Moon Falls.

Resident witch, Maddie Goodcharm, is accused of hexing the townsfolk. So not true! Maddie loves her town and its people, well, most of them anyway. When one of the townsfolk dies in suspicious circumstances, Maddie becomes the main suspect in a murder investigation.

But that isn’t her only problem. During a practice session in the woods, she accidentally casts a spell on a hiker. Jason’s not in a good place, literally, and Maddie has to come up with a reversal spell ASAP. Which she can’t do if she’s in prison. The only way out of her dilemma is to catch the real murderer.

Now Maddie is on the trail of a killer and magic may be the only thing that will save her.



No comments:

Post a Comment

check out all our books on our dsdu-books shelf:
DarkSide DownUnder's book lists (dsdu-books shelf)