2024 COVERS

2024 covers

Welcome to the Dark Side!

We are writers mainly from Australia and New Zealand who write speculative fiction with romantic elements. Be it fantasy, paranormal, dark urban fantasy, futuristic and everything in between.

Thursday 16 December 2021

Magic Thursday: The Goddess Bride in 9th Century Pictland + a Free Book!

 


Ever since I was a child, I’ve always loved reading stories that had a magical or fantasy twist, and I’ve also always loved history. Growing up in England I was lucky enough to be surrounded by the rich heritage left by the Romans, and I also loved visiting the ruins of breathtaking castles and mystical standing stones.


Now, you’d think it would be obvious that I should combine those two things when I started writing – but if you know me, you’ll know it always takes me forever before the obvious smacks me in the face! So, after many years writing in several different genres (all of which I’ve loved doing) I’ve finally gone back to my first love.


History and fantasy.


The Highland Warrior Chronicles
is set in the 9th century, when MacAlpin, king of Dal Riada, set his sights on claiming all of Pictland for his own. The historical record tells us that by the end of the century the Picts, as a separate people, had all but vanished.


What happened to these proud people, who had managed to keep the invading Romans at bay hundreds of years previously?


Not a lot is known about the Picts, besides the amazing standing stones they left behind. And so I could let my imagination run free. And in my world of tough Highland warriors, I have Pictish princesses who are chosen ones of the goddess, Bride.


During a time when a new religion was spreading across the land, the old gods do not rest easy. And in the seven kingdoms of Pictland, are seven royal princesses who are destined to not only unite Pict and Scot through powerful alliances—but also ensure the ancient ways of their foremothers are not forgotten.


With three books in the series now out, and book 4 scheduled to release next year, I’ve recently completed a prequel – Her Rebel Scot – in which I’ve imagined what might have happened when MacAlpin’s father fell for his Pictish princess and set in motion events that would ultimately change the political landscape of Pictland forever.


However, since I don’t write tragedies, Her Rebel Scot is the forbidden romance between Tavish, bastard son of the King of Dal Riada, and Catriona, the half-sister of the Princess of Pictland. I had so much fun writing this book and I hope readers love Tavish and Catriona as much as I do!



Even the threat of the Vikings won't keep him from her side...

Tavish O'Eochaid, favored son of the King of Dal Riada, has no plans to settle down until forced to by duty. But when he enters Pictland on a diplomatic mission, he's captivated by an enigmatic noblewoman, who hides secrets in her eyes.

Bound by blood to the shadow of the royal court, Catriona cannot afford to fall for the charms of a visiting Scots warrior. As a chosen one of her goddess, she knows where her duty lies. Yet as her visions of a splintered future grow ever darker, she risks everything for a few stolen hours in his arms.

 But when betrayal rocks the foundations of Pictland herself, Tavish must choose between sacrificing his honor - or surrendering to his enemy, for the woman he has grown to love.




If you’d like to read Her Rebel Scot for free, and discover my passionate, mystical, world of 9th century Pictland, the eBook is exclusive for my newsletter subscribers, and you can sign up here, on my website!




About Christina

Christina Phillips is an ex-pat Brit who now lives in sunny Western Australia with her high school sweetheart and their family. She enjoys writing historical romance with a touch of fantasy where the stories sizzle and the heroine brings her hero to his knees.

Christina is addicted to good coffee, expensive chocolate, and bad boy heroes. She is also owned by three gorgeous cats, including one who reigns from the rainbow bridge, who are convinced the universe revolves around their needs. They are not wrong.

Christina's website


2 comments:

  1. These books sound awesome! What a fascinating time in history for a romance series ��

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds amazing doesn't it. They are waiting on my TBR pile waiting oh so patiently.

      Delete

check out all our books on our dsdu-books shelf:
DarkSide DownUnder's book lists (dsdu-books shelf)