2024 COVERS

2024 covers

Welcome to the Dark Side!

We are writers mainly from Australia and New Zealand who write speculative fiction with romantic elements. Be it fantasy, paranormal, dark urban fantasy, futuristic and everything in between.

Thursday 14 November 2019

Magic Thursday: Believe in your vision!

by Christina Phillips


About eleven years ago, a very pissed off archangel thundered into my brain and refused to leave. Broody, sexy and haunting the edges of the universe, Gabe was difficult to ignore. Aha, I thought, I’ll write his romance for that new Harlequin imprint that’s just opened for submissions – Nocturne Bites!

It turned out Gabe wasn’t a good fit when it came to a short story, and so I left him flying around the universe for a few years, while I explored the ancient world of my Romans and Druids.
But like all damaged heroes seeking redemption, Gabe didn’t give up. Eventually the stars seemed to align, and the publisher I was with showed interest in his story.

Except they wanted the book in their erotic line, and the story I had in mind wasn’t erotic, but I was so pleased my archangel would finally be a published book that I agreed to the contract.
I wrote the book, based on the outline submitted. Two thirds of the way through, the editor read the outline and wanted substantial changes. So, I rewrote the entire book. And then added more sexy times during the revision process.

And so it was published, but it wasn’t the same as the story I had in my head. I counted down the days until I could reclaim my rights and give Gabe and Aurora the romance they deserved.
It took another six years before I could get back to them.

At the end of 2018, when I’d fulfilled my contractual obligations with another publisher, I knew the time was right to dive back into my world of archangels, demons and vampires. Armed with the knowledge and experience I’d gained during the previous decade, I decided to indie publish this series, and kicked off by ripping the original book inside out, until only the core remained. And then I began from scratch.

Years ago, before I was published, there was a quote from Galaxy Quest that I used as my mantra. 'Never give up! Never surrender!' It’s taken more than ten years, but the kernel of an idea I had back then, that I wrote, rewrote, submitted, had rejected, accepted, and then rewrote again, has finally evolved into the vision I had for it all along.

And Gabe doesn’t have wings 😊







A fallen archangel saves a woman from a deadly fate, and unleashes an ancient power that could destroy the universe itself…

Gabe has no time for humans after the way they betrayed the ones he loved so long ago. But when he snatches a woman from the jaws of the hellish Guardians, he’s compelled to protect her at all costs. Even if she does drive him crazy with her smart mouth and refusal to fall under his archangelic spell.

Desperate to discover her true heritage, Aurora opens a rift between dimensions. But before she can enter her mother’s world, the most breathtakingly gorgeous man she’s ever met teleports her to an impossible island.

Thrown together, they can’t ignore the scorching lust that risks consuming them, or the threat to Aurora’s existence. When raw sex evolves into something far more dangerous, it’s more than their lives that are on the line.

As Gabe and Aurora race against time to outwit the Guardians, they come closer to uncovering an explosive revelation that will challenge everything they’ve ever believed in.

But deep in the shadows, the merciless Guardians lurk. And they have no intention of allowing Aurora to escape their clutches. Even if it means defying the wrath of an archangel.


Available from:





If you want to find out what really happened to Aurora’s parents twenty-five years ago and how they defied the laws of the universe to be together, I have an exclusive short story prequel, Catalyst, for my newsletter subscribers – details on my website!



~~~

Christina Phillips is an ex-pat Brit who now lives in sunny Western Australia with her high school sweetheart and their family. She enjoys writing paranormal, historical fantasy and contemporary romance where the stories sizzle and the heroine brings her hero to his knees.

Addicted to good coffee, expensive chocolate and bad boy heroes, Christina has no plans to reform any time soon. She is also owned by three gorgeous cats who are convinced the universe revolves around their needs. They are not wrong.

4 comments:

  1. What a great insight Christina. I hope all your hard work pays off, and love those covers! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much, Mel! It's been an adventure, that's for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you get to tell the story as you would like it to be told, Christina.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gosh, what a journey, Christina! Sounds like it was well worth it to give Gabe his story <3

    ReplyDelete

check out all our books on our dsdu-books shelf:
DarkSide DownUnder's book lists (dsdu-books shelf)