2024 COVERS

2024 covers

Welcome to the Dark Side!

We are writers mainly from Australia and New Zealand who write speculative fiction with romantic elements. Be it fantasy, paranormal, dark urban fantasy, futuristic and everything in between.

Friday 21 September 2012

What We Are Reading

After a bit of a break welcome back to the What We Are Reading column. Today, we have Eleni Konstantine, Kylie Griffin and me, Shona Husk.

Eleni Konstantine
You Had Me at Halo! by Amanda Ashby
Fantastic, funny, witty and superb. Loved it!

The Harrowing by Alexandra Sokoloff
Amazing! Great thrilling, well paced, book. Interesting characters, and setting (college dorm during Thanksgiving).

The Goblin King by Shona Husk
I totally enjoyed the first book in the Shadowlands trilogy. I had started reading this during a busy time at study and struggled to find the time, but once on holidays, I was able to read the rest at a good pace for me. Thoroughly enjoyed the world-building and the relationship between Eliza and Roan. Fabulous story with an unlikely hero (which was part of the charm). Can't wait to read book 2 of The Shadowlands Trilogy!



Allegra Fairweather: Paranormal Investigator by Janni Nell Thoroughly enjoyed this book. I enjoyed Allegra's voice. She's tough but vulnerable, and she tries her hardest for her clients. Loved the inclusion of Casper, the friendly guardian angel, and their dilemma. Will be going onto book 2 :)

Book of Shadows by Alexandra Sokoloff
A really great book. Was intrigued with the murder mystery and how it all fitted together. The supernatural element was creepy, but I couldn't stop reading :)
Another thumbs up book!

Fairy Bad Day by Amanda Ashby
Freaking awesome! I loved this now - and I would have loved it as a teen. Funny, witty, and an enjoyable read.


Kylie Griffin
Nightfall: The Dark Ages Dawning series by Ellen Connor
What do I love about this first book in the series? Where do I start? There's a lot I really liked about it. The world-building, the main characters, the secondary characters, the story arcs hinting at what's to come in the next two books in the series (which I'm now hanging out for, BTW!!!).

No spoilers given, I'll stick to generalisations, so you can safely read what I have to say next. :-)

The hero, John Mason, is a tough-as-nails ex-marine/survivalist who owes a life debt to the heroine's father. He honours a promise to keep Jenna Barclay safe after the world succumbs to a prophesied change. So from the outset the hero and heroine are on very uneasy footing and this is part of the whole fascination I have for the story.

I love the process of watching these two learning to trust each other, first through necessity and then because they recognise the attraction they have for one another. Neither accept it easily, even though you can feel the need they have for one another.

As a reader you want them to get together but the whole establishing a relationship and learning about them as individuals is a very satisfying experience. So you know they earn each others trust and respect through the journey by the time they do get together.

The prophesied change and world-building is riveting too. The old world and technology slowly disappears and the characters have to come to terms with that as well as the new world order of mutated animals and supernatural powers.

This isn't so fantastic that you know it's far-fetched or impossible, the exact opposite actually. There's enough realism woven into it that you think it could happen. It was done so well I was definitely able to suspend my disbelief and lose myself in the story rather than analyse it (as I would a writer reading another writer).

The secondary characters are great too and when I read the blurbs for the other books in the series I realised they get their own stories and because of the connection and empathy I had for them I immediately went out and pre-ordered them. LOL

So, if you're looking for a solid, satisfying post-apocalyptic adventure/romance with great characters and a strong storyline then get thee to a bookstore and buy this series. I don't think you'll be disappointed! The two books that complete the trilogy are Midnight and Daybreak.

Shona Husk
Hexed (Iron Druid Chronicles, #2)Iron Druid Chronicles by Kevin Hearne
I’ve read Hounded and Hexed in the series so far. This series had me at 2000 year old tattooed Irish Druid. It’s lots of fun and is kind of like the Dresden Files (magic, battles, people trying to kill the hero…)
Enclave (Razorland, #1)
Enclave by Ann Aguirre
I discovered Ann Aguirre through the Dark Age Dawning Series. When I saw this at the library I thought I’d give it a go. It’s YA, which I don’t read a lot of, set in a dystopian future. In places it is quite shocking what the kids are doing and yet they pull together and get through. The sequel is Outpost which I will be sure to read.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks Kylie and Shona, those books look great.

    Shona, I've seen the covers for Hearne's books and have it on my list on to get, but now it's gone further up in the list.

    Oh, that never ending list. But then again, who would want stories to end. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks guys. More to be added to the TBR pile! They all sound great. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just as an interesting aside, the book covers for Kevin Hearne & Ellen Connor's series were created by cover wizard, Gene Mollica!

    ReplyDelete

check out all our books on our dsdu-books shelf:
DarkSide DownUnder's book lists (dsdu-books shelf)