2024 COVERS

2024 covers

Welcome to the Dark Side!

We are writers mainly from Australia and New Zealand who write speculative fiction with romantic elements. Be it fantasy, paranormal, dark urban fantasy, futuristic and everything in between.

Saturday 20 August 2011

Darklight On...Linda Jones Q&A

Today's Darklight On... is with Linda Jones. Welcome, Linda! 




How did you come to write speculative fiction?
Always written romance, suspense and science fiction plots since first years of high school. Daphne Du Maurier, Victoria Holt, John Wyndham and Alfred Hitchcock all inspired me. It’s only over the last two years I’ve been plotting darker paranormal stories and recently completed a story for Nocturne Bites. However since the guidelines have changed I have to find another home for it, as the novella won’t work under the new guidelines.


What attracted you to the genre?
I’m attracted to the genre because I’m so inspired by the many wonderful romantic suspense and paranormal stories around at the moment.


Are you a plotter? Pantster? Or somewhere in-between?
I’m a pantster but love to hear how other writers plot. Plotting techniques would help me with the sagging middle but I haven’t been able to apply any suitable method so far.


Do have a favorite of your characters?
My favorite character at the moment is my heroine Catherine a witch who is trying hard not to fall in love with the changeling hero.


What are you currently working on?
A futuristic novel set in Melbourne in 2020 when the Internet as we know it doesn’t exist.


What is your favourite part of the process of writing?
Love the first draft when the story is fresh and new and unfolding like a movie on paper.


What can we expect from Linda Jones in the future?
Hopefully I’ll soon find a home for my novella, the witch and the changeling.


Who are your favorite authors?
Too many to mention as I read across genres from dark paranormal to science fiction and historical.


What are you currently reading?
The Time Traveler’s Wife


Do you have a favorite spec fiction movie or TV series?
Twilight and still enjoy Buffy when it’s on.


Do you have advice for emerging writers?
Never give up because one day it will be your turn to be published.


~~~
Thank you, Linda.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Linda,

    Nice to meet you!

    I hope your witch and changeling find themselves a home somewhere special.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your advice Linda. So great to learn more about you.

    ReplyDelete

check out all our books on our dsdu-books shelf:
DarkSide DownUnder's book lists (dsdu-books shelf)