2024 COVERS

2024 covers

Welcome to the Dark Side!

We are writers mainly from Australia and New Zealand who write speculative fiction with romantic elements. Be it fantasy, paranormal, dark urban fantasy, futuristic and everything in between.

Thursday 22 May 2014

Magic Thursday ~ The Birth of World Change

Today, Maggie Mundy joins us for Magic Thursday talking about getting inspiration from a historical romance.  Welcome Maggie!


The Birth of World Change
with Maggie Mundy



Have you ever read a book based in a certain time and place and been inspired to write something? This happened to me when I read the book The Birth of Venus by Sarah Dunant. It is based in Renaissance Italy. It has intrigue, politics, romance, death, religion, the Medici’s and Leonardo Da Vinci. (read my review on Goodreads)

I don’t write historical romance and have always had my feet firmly in the speculative fiction camp. That aside I really wanted to write a paranormal romance that was based in a world similar to 14th century Italy. My solution was to have a book where the heroine was transported to another world. This allowed me to make up the things I wanted to, but still have a base in something that looked like Italy.

The book became World Change.

Have you ever read a book and thought you would like to write something based in a similar world?


Clare gets transported from present day Florence to an alternate world, one that looks like fourteenth century Italy. The only way back is through a portal half a world away, plus the local High priestess wants her dead, and the only one she can trust is a vampire called Trevi. He is the only one who exits in this world, and she knows more about what he is than he does. He is hard to resist, especially when he saves her life. Trevi can take her home but he is keeping one big secret. She will have to be like him to survive the journey through the portal back to her world making a myth a reality. 





Buy links 
Barnes & Noble | All Romance Books |

Print  - ISBN: 978-1-62420-053-3 | Rogue Phoenix BooksAmazon.com |







~~~
Thanks, Maggie!

Maggie's Bio
I live in Adelaide Australia and I am a member of Romance Writers of Australia, and the local chapter SARA (South Australian Romance Authors). I recently completed a Bachelor of Arts in Drama, English and Creative Writing. I have had a short story published in the RWA Topaz Anthology Little Gems in 2010 called Sea and Vines. I have had an erotic novella called Blood Scent published in July 2013 by Rogue Phoenix Press. I also have a paranormal romance called Hidden Mortality published February 2014 by Soul Mate Publishing. World Change is the first book in the Earthbound Trilogy.



Connect with Maggie

1 comment:

  1. Not quite - I wanted to do a magical version of Robin Hood :)

    ReplyDelete

check out all our books on our dsdu-books shelf:
DarkSide DownUnder's book lists (dsdu-books shelf)