2024 COVERS

2024 covers

Welcome to the Dark Side!

We are writers mainly from Australia and New Zealand who write speculative fiction with romantic elements. Be it fantasy, paranormal, dark urban fantasy, futuristic and everything in between.

Saturday 3 May 2014

Darklight On... Danielle Belwater


Today's Darklight On is... Danielle Belwater.
Welcome, Dani!



How did you come to write speculative fiction? What attracted you to the genre?

I have always had a fascination with the paranormal since my brother used to frighten me with ghost stories when I was five. Growing up and still today, my main coping mechanism when life gets a bit much, I find myself looking for a book or movie that I can escape into, totally immerse myself in another universe for a short time. I am just as at home amongst ghosts, witches and the supernatural as I am sitting in my lounge room.


Are you a plotter? Pantser? Or somewhere in-between?


Before I started writing, I always thought I would be a plotter. I’ve always had a need to have everything in order before I start any project or undertaking. However; once I started writing, I found that having everything plotted out didn’t work as ideas and plot twists all came to me off the top of my head as I wrote. So I like to know roughly what will happen and the ending, the rest I leave up to fate!


What is your favourite part of the process of writing?


I love the whole lot! But if I had to pick something, I would have to say (and some might scoff!) the first edit. To go over hastily written words and carve and mould them into a feeling rather than the written word.



Who are your favourite authors?

After reading Hannah Kent’s Burial Rites, I think she’s one of my new favourite authors. She has a gift to be able to write simply yet create such emotion in the reader.



What are you currently reading?

I have just read Burial Rites, which tells the story of Agnes Magnusdottir, the last woman executed in Iceland in the 1800s. I was blown away by the richness of this story and how such simple writing can be so beautiful, even in such a tragic story.


Do you have a favourite spec fiction movie or TV series?

The Walking Dead. Without a doubt. I have only just found out about this series and I hate to admit that I have the first four series on constant replay when I’m at home during the day. The Walking Dead is more a drama series with Zombies than a Zombie series with drama. I love the characters and that they are quite flawed.



Do you have advice for emerging writers?

Don’t try and look at the end goal all at once. It will explode your brain. Writing a novel is a marathon, not a sprint so take small steps, one at a time and you will get there.


~~~

Thanks, Dani!






Blurb to Of Fire & Roses

Nathaniel West’s mother is dead, his father a lost cause. Anger has become a way of life, until he meets and falls in love with Cora Ewell. Only Cora has a secret, one that could kill them both.

An age old dark magic resurfaces and it becomes a race against time for Cora and Nate to find the long buried secrets to saving everyone they love and each other.

After a near fatal accident leaves Nate in limbo, he must find a way to get through to Cora before time runs out and she is forced into life eternal with the evil wizard, Elias Stafford.

Buy links:
Evernight Teen  |  Amazon US  |  Amazon AUS  |  Barnes & Noble

Or connect with the Author via:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Website  |  Pinterest  | Goodreads  |  Wattpad  |  Blog   |  Google+


No comments:

Post a Comment

check out all our books on our dsdu-books shelf:
DarkSide DownUnder's book lists (dsdu-books shelf)