2024 COVERS

2024 covers

Welcome to the Dark Side!

We are writers mainly from Australia and New Zealand who write speculative fiction with romantic elements. Be it fantasy, paranormal, dark urban fantasy, futuristic and everything in between.

Sunday 8 December 2013

Darklight On... Christina Phillips

Today's Darklight On... is Christina Phillips.

Welcome, Christina!







The Rocky Road after Publication



When the lovely Cher and Eleni invited me back in the Darklight On… chair, I wasn’t sure what angle to take (this is the repressed Brit side of me. Hate talking about myself!!) I’d already answered the Darklight interview back in March 2011 and to refresh my mind about what I’d talked about I read it again.



Turned out to be quite a revelation J



So I thought it might be fun to compare what I said a year and three quarters ago to the reality of now, publishing wise. Did my hopes and plans come true? Or did they go skidding off the tracks, into the forest, never to be heard of again?



In March 2011 I’d just had my second Roman/Druid romance, Captive, published, and was busy writing my first archangel book. Although I didn’t make it public at the time, my publisher had passed on the third Forbidden book, after I had already written almost a third of it.



I don’t think devastated quite covers how I felt about that. Just a few years ago when a big publisher passed on a project mid-series that was it. The book was dead and there was no hope it would ever see the light of day.



Thank goodness those days have gone!



I never gave up hope it would one day find the perfect home. At one point I seriously contemplated self-publishing the next two books, but a year later Ellora’s Cave picked up books 3 and 4, Betrayed and Tainted.



As I was writing the final scenes in Tainted earlier this year I got quite choked up. I’d lived in this mystical world of tough Roman warriors and magical Druid heroines for over four years. I love this world. But the four books I had envisaged before Forbidden sold had finally been realized. It was, in a way, the end of an era.



It took a while for the planets to align before I sold the first book of another series I had up my sleeve – Her Savage Scot, book 1 in my Highland Warrior Chronicles. This book, set in the 9th century and with the lightest touch of fantasy woven throughout, released on 20th November. I’ve just started book 2 and book 3 is a hazy cloud in the back of my mind J



The publisher passed on my second archangel book, so once again I was left dangling. I absolutely adore book 2 and right from the start was determined it would be published one way or another. Five months later it went to contract at another publishing house and although the process has been excruciatingly slow, I’m hopeful the book will be out next year.



So as far as my hopes went back in March 2011 for having three series published… I’m on track, even if I’m a little behind my projected schedule for Total World Domination J



On thing hasn’t changed at all though – my favourite part of the writing process is still reading back what I wrote the previous day!

~





Thanks so much for sharing, Christina. It's lovely to hear about how your writing journey is going - and how you continue to be inspired, despite the challenges that many authors face.

To find out more about about Christina and her books, visit her website christinaphillips.com or her blog christinaphillips.blogspot.com.












6 comments:

  1. Hi Christina
    I'm really enjoying reading your early medieval Scottish romance. Can't wait until I go on holiday to get more reading time soon so I can finish it. Your writing journey is not uncommon. The big NY publishers have been doubly hit by the recession and then Indie publishing. Although devastating, you have picked yourself and kept going with wonderful books. I think your books will always find a home with a publisher and some look after their authors better than others.
    Best
    Cathleen Ross

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are such an inspiration, Christina. You never give up, never surrender. Which i think is a fave line of yours.

    Love your stories. You are a great writer.

    x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Christina
    > I'm really enjoying reading your early medieval Scottish romance. Can't
    > wait until I go on holiday to get more reading time soon so I can finish
    > it. Your writing journey is not uncommon. The big NY publishers have been
    > doubly hit by the recession and then Indie publishing. Although
    > devastating, you have picked yourself and kept going with wonderful books.
    > I think your books will always find a home with a publisher and some look
    > after their authors better than others.

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL Eleni! Yes, that's one of my favourite quotes, so I feel I should live by it :-) And thank you so much. So happy you enjoy my books :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Cathleen :-) And yes you're right, some publishers do treat their authors better than others.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Coming in late to read this post, and thank you so much for sharing, Christina. Your books are wonderful and I'm so glad you kept writing! :)

    ReplyDelete

check out all our books on our dsdu-books shelf:
DarkSide DownUnder's book lists (dsdu-books shelf)