2024 COVERS

2024 covers

Welcome to the Dark Side!

We are writers mainly from Australia and New Zealand who write speculative fiction with romantic elements. Be it fantasy, paranormal, dark urban fantasy, futuristic and everything in between.

Friday 20 January 2012

What We Are Reading

Welcome to January’s What We Are Reading column. Today, we have Jodie Smith and Jess Anastasi.
Jodie C
~Take No Prisoners~ Cindy Gerard

When it takes me less than 24 hour to read a full length novel with my kids at home for the duration - it shows how much I LOVE a book.

I made the mistake of starting this an hour before I wanted to go to bed. "Just a few chapters of the fabulous Cindy Gerard & I'll sleep peacefully" I told myself. EEEHHHhhhh WRONG.

One hour turned into three and I found it physically painful to put this book down before finishing it.

Sam was yet another sex on a stick, Black Ops, die to sleep with, hunka hunka burnin love, that I fell into lust with straight away. A man of relatively few words - but boy did those words count.

*sigh*

He was dreamy. If only men like that really existed. I would claw, scratch & bite my way through any woman that got in my way.

Abbie was also another one of Cindy Gerard's perfect heroines, that deserved the attention of such a great man. She was strong, loyal and a joy to fall in love with.

Their story was action packed, not only in the bullets and bad guys department, but also between the sheets.

TOTALLY. YUMMILIFIC.

Cindy also has the best ability of making you NEED to read the next book in the series straight away.

I am trying to savor these books gawd damn it - but I can't help devouring!!!


Jess Anastasi
~Succubus Nights~ Richelle Mead


I've just finished reading Succubus Nights (which oddly, I think is the Australian title. You can also find this book under Succubus On Top), the second book to Succubus Blues in the Georgina Kincaid series by Richelle Mead. I really loved all of Ms. Mead's young adult Vampire Academy books, so wondered what to expect with this adult series. I can tell you I wasn't disappointed. Even though Georgina is an "agent of hell" she tries to live a good life and falls in love with a human, but quite often her past and the fact she's a succubus make things very complicated. The romance between Georgina and her man, Seth, is intriguing, plus the sexual tension is fantasic. They can't kiss, let alone make love, or she'll literally suck the life out of him... and we don't want that, now, do we? So I'll be off to the library shortly to track down Succubus Dreams, the third installment, to see where the next adventures of Georgina will lead. If you love urban fantasy or paranormal and want something a bit different, I highly recommend any of Ms. Mead's books. She's a very talented writer.
 ~~~

This year there are two interesting challenges happening. One is the Australian Women Writers Challenge. If you haven’t signed up you can do so here:  australian-women-writers-book-challenge
Or you can check out the goodreads group where there are shelves of books by Australian Women: http://www.goodreads.com/group/show/59176.Australian_Women_Writers_Challenge

Also this year Eleni is doing a Darksider challenge: http://elenis-library.blogspot.com/2011/12/darksider-reading-challenge.html

I have several Darksiders books on my TBR pile including Nicola E Sheridan, Jenny Schwartz, Mel Teshco and Denise Rossetti. What’s on your shelf?

Shona

1 comment:

  1. Great reviews ladies. Thank you.

    Thanks for the link to the Goodreads group, Shona, and for spruiking my challenge.

    ReplyDelete

check out all our books on our dsdu-books shelf:
DarkSide DownUnder's book lists (dsdu-books shelf)