2024 COVERS

2024 covers

Welcome to the Dark Side!

We are writers mainly from Australia and New Zealand who write speculative fiction with romantic elements. Be it fantasy, paranormal, dark urban fantasy, futuristic and everything in between.

Saturday 19 November 2011

Darklight On...Angela Castle




Today's Darklight On... is with Angela Castle. Welcome, Angela!



How did you come to write speculative fiction? What attracted you to the genre? And what attracted you to writing erotic fiction?
From an early age my siblings and I were fed a diet of science fiction and fantasy through the wonderful world of shows like Dr Who, Knight Rider, Incredible Hulk, ect... As soon as I learned to read, I was snatching up every romance fantasy, paranormal book I could find.



Please tell us a little about your road to publication.
Although I’ve been writing since my teens, it wasn’t until recently I had the desire to become published. Although not the first book I’ve written Abducing Alice was the first story I submitted to a publisher, which was rejected, but the editor was kind enough to realise this was my first attempt and took the time to point out the flaws in the story. It was a sharp learning curve. I took the time to re-write and fix up the book. My second submission with a different book, Blue Fire, was also rejected. But after some cleaning up of the MS the publisher accepted it.

The publisher worked with me to get the manuscript up to publishing standard, to which I am truly grateful. From there I haven’t stop writing, learning or pumping out new works.



Your current release is Keeping Katie. Can you describe this book for us?
Firstly I’m an erotic romance writer, and Keeping Katie was my first attempt at writing contemporary and my first attempt at a ménage. Jack and Jordan, are gorgeous every day kind of guys, although they have found each other are searching for something else to complete their lives. Katie is a Aussie girl with a tragic past, and has some deep internal wounds. Jack meets Katie when she starts working as a night cleaner in his law office, Jordan meets Katie when she applies for a job as a labourer, but the two male lovers have no idea they want the same woman, until Jordan brings her home. Together they help Katie overcome her deep fear of being loved, and the pain of loss.

Writing contemporary is a scary process, for un-like Paranormal or Sci-fi there is no external plot, you have to instead use the deep emotions of the characters for the conflict of the story.



You’ve had some lovely covers. Do have you any favourites?
Oh yes, the cover of Dangerous Moonlight is my favourite thus far, my cover artist Christine Griffin did an amazing job.




Are you a plotter? Pantser? Or somewhere in-between?
I kind of think I am somewhere in between, I have to plot out the major conflicts and bad guys of my stories, but the rest just flows from my over active imagination.


Do have a favourite of your characters?
Vanessa from Dangerous Moonlight, she’s fun, sassy, has a wicked sense of humour and like most Aussies, laid back.




What are you currently working on?
It may seem crazy but I usually have more than one ms going on at a time, I am almost finished the sequel to Dangerous Moonlight, at the same time working on a cat shifter book. And doing a short dragon story for an anthology.




What is your favourite part of the process of writing?
I love bring new characters to life, arguing with them, watching then grow as the story progresses. I know I have a good story when I can really connect with my characters.


What can we expect from Angela Castle in the future?
I have a Tiger shifter book coming out in a few months. I’m so very excited to see a few of my popular works coming in print. But as long as i keep day dreaming the stories will keep coming.




Who are your favourite authors?
I’m a book addict and love so many books and authors, there are simply too many to name so my top authors would be Gena Showalter, Sherrilyn Kenyon, and Susan Sizemore.



What are you currently reading?
Been re-reading through Susan Sizmore, vampire Prime series. And a few HQ paranormal Desires.




Do you have a favourite spec fiction movie or TV series?
Love Dr Who! Anything Star Trek and only (yes only recently) discovered True Blood. Being Human, Sanctuary. But I’ll leave the list there.




Do you have advice for emerging writers?
Let nothing stand in your way of your dreams, and never give up.

I was never any good at spelling or grammar, but I have not let it stop me achieving my dream.

Be open to learning and listing to the advice of others. It just may be the thing you need to pull you up to that next level.



~~~
Thank you, Angela.
You can visit Angela at her website.

Claiming Claire is Angela's latest release and available from Whiskey Creek Torrid

6 comments:

  1. Hi Angela and Eleni,

    Great Blog post and wonderful to learn more about your process Angela it's always heart warming to hear an author's story, thank you for sharing. I've bought some of your fantastic stories.

    Cheers,
    Margaret Midwood

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Angela and Eleni!
    Wonderful interview guys!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Angela,
    Great interview. Truly, you have the most vivid imagination. The fact that you can write more than one manuscript at a times amazes me, not to mention the different genres.

    Regards

    Margaret

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Angela,
    Lovely to see you here! We're always stunned by your impressive words counts each month at the Melbourne Romance Writers Guild meetings (and achieving this while raising young children is amazing!).

    I loved reading about your process in writing and I LOVE your books. I was lucky enough to edit one of them and it really stuck with me. I wish you continued success.

    Thanks for having Angela as your special guest, Eleni!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great interview, Angela. You are so prolific - I don't know how you do it.

    ReplyDelete

check out all our books on our dsdu-books shelf:
DarkSide DownUnder's book lists (dsdu-books shelf)