2024 COVERS

2024 covers

Welcome to the Dark Side!

We are writers mainly from Australia and New Zealand who write speculative fiction with romantic elements. Be it fantasy, paranormal, dark urban fantasy, futuristic and everything in between.

Thursday 21 July 2011

Supanova Sydney 2011


Ever had one of those weeks where everything hits at once. That is my week. So mega apologies up front for being so late with my Magic Thursday post.

Nicole, Erica and me (thanks Kathy for the pic)
This year I was able to get an artist’s table at Supanova pop culture expo. I had a friend at me for years to go and check it out. I invited fellow darksiders Nicole Murphy and Erica Hayes  to join me as the table had 3 expo passes included. Supanova is similar to the Comic Cons held in the States.

View from our room
So Friday afternoon, Nicole and I set of from our home town to make the 3 hour trek to Sydney with the added bonus of driving my first ever brand new car. The drive went quickly and was fun. We talked lots about books, authors, publishing and just... you know... normal stuff writers talk about when they get together with someone who understands them. We met Erica in Sydney out the place we were staying. We were on the 24th floor and, boy, what a view we had.

And this was not even at a busy time
Saturday morning we drove to the Supanova venue – eventually getting there after my stupid phone GPS took us the wrong way. The Dome at Sydney Olympic park was massive. That should have been a clue. Vendor and stalls were set up all around and we dropped off our things and went to park the car. As we walked back around the front way, this time we saw the line. It was massive.

Bat Man and Cat Woman - me-ow
The atmosphere was awesome. The costumes amazing. And the displays spectacular. I didn’t get to see any of the special guests. I wanted to see James Masters – only if a glimpse – but missed my chance. I should have gone to his chat with the Supanova patrons, but I didn’t. Also there were the cast from the sixties show I DREAM OF JEANNIE, Tom Felton (Draco Malfoy from the Harry Potter movies), and a couple more Joss Whedon stars, Amy Acker - Fred from Angel - and Sean Mayer from the Dr. Tan from FIREFLY.

I also saw some great writers there, Kevin J Anderson, Rebecca Moesta, Marianne De Pierres, Jennifer Fallon, Kate Forsythe, Alison Goodman and fellow darksider, Rowena Cory Daniels. It was great catching up with many of them again, and some for the first time.
Is there a Doctor in the house?

Eek - I'm in trouble.

even Daleks need hugs
anyone for a little 300 or Spartacus


The original Darksider - Lord Vader and friend
My facebook friend Kathy who is the best fan :)
And of course - Indie - for a bit of adventure
Where's Wally?
A little chill from Freeze

But the thing that really blew me away were the costumes, the detail is some of them was amazing. All in all, I had a total ball and have some ideas on what I would do differently next time, but I would definitely go again even just as a patron rather than a guest.

2 comments:

  1. Love it, Tracey. The photos are real gems. Must say I love your photos - especially the Dalek one. Who would of thought they need hugs. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like you all had a blast Tracey! I'd love to have seen those costumes =)

    ReplyDelete

check out all our books on our dsdu-books shelf:
DarkSide DownUnder's book lists (dsdu-books shelf)