2024 COVERS

2024 covers

Welcome to the Dark Side!

We are writers mainly from Australia and New Zealand who write speculative fiction with romantic elements. Be it fantasy, paranormal, dark urban fantasy, futuristic and everything in between.

Saturday 16 July 2011

Darklight On...Jo-Anne Ginn Q&A


Today's Darklight On... is with Jo-Anne Ginn. Welcome, Jo-Anne!



How did you come to write speculative fiction? What attracted you to the genre?
I spent 3 hours a day on trains travelling to work.  I started reading romance novels because I could finish one in one train trip. But pretty soon they came to bleed into each other and I went roaming my local bookstore for something new. The lady behind the counter suggested a paranormal romance and I haven't looked back. Except these books were longer and I didn't get them finished in a day I had to put them down and actually do some work. So all day at work my mind would run over various scenarios on how the book should end. Of course I was always way of base. LOL but it got me interested in writing myself so the book could end the way I thought it would.



Are you a plotter? Pantser? Or somewhere in-between?
I went to a course for writing and the writer running the course expelled the virtues of planning so I planned. I like to plan, plots are my strong suit, character emotions have me struggling.


Do have a favourite of your characters?
I've only written the one ms but yes, I have one from this work and who knows if he'll continue to be number one? He is a warrior of course. LOL. He has a talent for controlling storms and uses them in his work, he's a great guy.


What are you currently working on? 
I love Vampire and Shifter books, but mine is neither. I went with a completely new type of mythical being. They're a cross between stargate and nature elements. They have the ability to control the elements. One or more, but only the rulers control them all. They were the first evolution on this planet but left through a portal when the meteor hit and stayed away while the dinosaurs roamed free. They've been back to visit every now and then since humans made a comeback.



What is your favourite part of the process of writing? 
My favourite part of writing is, Writing. LOL. What I mean is, when you first start to type and the story flows out of you. You get lost in the world you created leaving your own behind (and mine was usually a very boring long train journey as I write on the train a lot). I've since spent a LOT of time editing and I learn something new from every chapter I get critiqued but it's more like hard work than my favourite bit.



What can we expect from Jo-Anne Ginn in the future?
The book I'm currently working on, is the first in a trilogy. I'm starting the plotting of the second and third book in between editing the first. So my goal, dream is to get my books published and read by as many people as possible. The more who read, the more who hopefully will want to read more.


Who are your favourite authors?
My favourite authors are Sherrilyn Kenyon, J.R. Ward, Lyndsey Sands, Nina Banks. Just to name a few.



What are you currently reading?
The Immortal Series, called Immortals the crossing by Joy Nash.


Do you have a favourite spec fiction movie or tv series?
I'm totally bummed that I'm missing Trueblood since I gave up Foxtel and am counting the days until series four comes out on disc. I also love Stargate SG1 and Atlantis, but not the new one, Universe. I watched and loved Moonlight, but it only went for 1 season. There's always room for Smallville as well. LOL. I like pretty much anything science fiction or paranormal. I plan to check out the new Teen Wolf series on seven as well. 




Do you have advice for emerging writers? 
Write what wants to be written. It has to be in your voice. I spent some time being confused by other people's opinions. They are great to get, but don't use it if it doesn't feel right for your story. I rewrote an entire chapter and came away not liking it at all. Oh and if you're anything like me what you learned about grammer in school is long gone, so invest in a grammar for dummies book.



Thanks, Jo-Anne. 


3 comments:

  1. Jo-Anne,
    I know where you are coming from with the grammar book. When I read through one I kept asking myself "Did I really learn this at school?" Your WIP sounds great, very cool characters. I bet you have a lot of fun messing with their lives.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, what a long time to spend on a train. My hat off to you, and so great that you found your own writing voice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm still finding my voice but yes'I'm having fun messing in my charcters lives. Since it's a made up world I can get them in all sorts of trouble that wouldn't be believable in the "real world".
    Jo-Anne Ginn

    ReplyDelete

check out all our books on our dsdu-books shelf:
DarkSide DownUnder's book lists (dsdu-books shelf)