What I'm referring to is the looong wait that is part of the publishing business. We send our stories (in whatever form - short, novella, novel) out to the world and wait and wait and wait for news.
The Waiting Game.
It's amazing how many times you will check your email when you first send something off, but part of the waiting game is that there is no set time period you will hear a response by.
So what do I do when I'm waiting?
Well instead of sitting around attracting cobwebs, I work on other projects of course.
And there is so much to choose from. I know I have notebooks of jotted down ideas, passages, some thoughts or story lines that can be developed. Sometimes I trudge through these to find the one I want to be working on at the moment, other times I just concentrate more on an ongoing project.
I usually have more than one project on the go, so I'm never out of things to work on. I've just finished a short story and some cover designs for a competition (this works the visual part of my brain).
What am I working on now?
- I'm re-reading a first draft of a short story I wrote last year to see if it will suit a particular anthology
- Editing a novella (Gateway to Hell)
- Editing a fantasy romance short story (Quest for Honour)
But I need help deciding what to do for my actual writing - next for writing - novella? novel? short story?
We on the paranormal group are soon going to do a BIAM (Book in a month - you don't actually write a book in a month more that you set a goal and try and obtain it). And so I want to prepare which story to work on.
Short story possibilities -
- Gypsy Curse - traditional fantasy with a female gypsy protagonist. Around 5000 words.
- Goddess Chatter - a look at some goddesses most likely Greek or based on Greek mythology.
- Snoop - paranormal detective on a routine case gets sucked into something quite out of her league.
- Lockdown - a story set on a space cruiser where the travellers find themselves locked in.
- Book 2 of The Warder series (Warders protect humanity against supernatural beings with evil intent) from a female Warder POV.
- Book 2 of The Shadow Tales (a woman has to confront the father of the child he has never known about.)
- Lady & the Dragon (this is half written) - Promised to be married to the winner of a tournament, Princess Tasean encounters a dragon and takes the opportunity to help her misunderstood new friend. Romance comes in the from of a Traveller.
- Finder - a woman finds herself in another dimension and as she tries to figure out why she has been there, she helps others find people, information, items.
- Beyond World - Mel has lost memory of her early childhood and discovers she's from another parallel middle ages type world.
As you can tell I love my speculative fiction!!!
So please comment on which one you think I should work on.....
and thanks to fellow DarkSider Loretta, I have a book bundle to give away - a copy of:
Sydney Croft's ACRO series
Larissa Ione's Ecstasy Unveiled
NOTE: This giveaway is open only to those in AUSTRALIA and a street address must be provided if you win (no PO Boxes).
The winner will be announced Wednesday 16th February.