2024 COVERS

2024 covers

Welcome to the Dark Side!

We are writers mainly from Australia and New Zealand who write speculative fiction with romantic elements. Be it fantasy, paranormal, dark urban fantasy, futuristic and everything in between.

Saturday 26 May 2018

Darklight On ... LJ Higgins

Today's Darklight On is Special Guest ... LJ Higgins,

Welcome, LJ




How did you come to write speculative fiction? What attracted you to the genre? 

I've always asked myself 'what if?' What if we were all forced to have microchips implanted in our wrists? What if something destroyed the earth? How would we survive? I love exploring these ideas and creating worlds that make people wonder if we might live in similar worlds in the future. 


Are you a plotter? Pantser? Or somewhere in-between?

When I wrote the Dreamer Trilogy I was a pantser and I let the story and characters move and grow organically as I wrote. It was both exciting and frustrating at times and when I sat down to write the Secrets of Aurora series I decided to give plotting a go. Plotting has helped me write faster, and although there are times I have adjusted the story so it still feels 'real' I feel it's helped me tell the story in a fast-paced, fun way. 


Do you have a favourite of your characters? 

Picking a favourite is hard, but I thoroughly enjoyed writing the relationship between Aurora and Braven. They have a close bond that is more brother and sister than romantic and I liked how it grew through the series. They also provide plenty of laughs. Braven is a crowd favourite because of his sense of humour. 


What are you currently working on? 

I've just sent Elysium, the final book of the Secrets of Aurora series, away to my publisher and have been working on a novella to accompany the series. I'm also mapping out an alien invasion story.


What is your favourite part of the process of writing? 

I'm not sure if I could pick a favourite. I love the excitement of a simple idea or what if? coming together as a story in my mind. I'll scribble down ideas and mull them over for days until the whole picture starts appearing. I also enjoy when I'm writing and it just flows. The words come so easy and a scene is down before I know it. 


What can we expect from L J Higgins in the future? 

An alien hunter series that I'm mapping out at the moment. I will also be venturing into another genre in a project I'm keeping quiet for now. But I definitely see dragon's in my future. 


Who are your favourite authors?

I read a mash up of traditionally published and Indie books. Some of my favourite trad authors are J K Rowling, Hugh Howey, Laini Taylor, and Sarah J Maas. Some of my favourite Indie authors are Michelle Bryan, M Lynn, and Patrick Hodges


What are you currently reading? 

I just finished reading Empire of Storms by Sarah J Maas and enjoyed every minute of it. Next on my tbr list is Legacy of Light by M Lynn and Michelle Bryan. 


Do you have a favourite spec fiction movie or TV series?

I love The 100 and Stranger Things series. I also love the Hunger Games and Lord of the Rings movies. 


Do you have advice for emerging writers? 

Just write! Let other people read what you're working on and be open to constructive criticism. It's what will help you learn and grow as a writer.

~~~ 

Thanks, L J Higgins!






Utopia: Secrets of Aurora, Book 1


The floating city, Utopia, is all sixteen-year-old Aurora has ever known. With three other cities, it is home to the survivors of cataclysmic events that ended life on Earth years ago.

After witnessing her mother’s murder, Aurora finds herself on the run from the very people who are meant to protect her. With the help of her best friend Fletcher, Aurora must find the truth behind her mother’s death, and why she is being hunted.

While someone wants the facts to remain hidden, Aurora won't stop until each hurtful truth is revealed. But nothing can prepare her for the answers that prove her entire existence has been built on a lie. Will the truth set her free? 

Buy Links:  Amazon
Available in KU

Author Links:  Website / Facebook / Instagram




2 comments:

  1. Thanks for visiting Darklight On LJ. I really enjoyed reading Utopia!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Utopia sounds like a great read. Thanks for coming along to the DSDU!

    ReplyDelete

check out all our books on our dsdu-books shelf:
DarkSide DownUnder's book lists (dsdu-books shelf)