2024 COVERS

2024 covers

Welcome to the Dark Side!

We are writers mainly from Australia and New Zealand who write speculative fiction with romantic elements. Be it fantasy, paranormal, dark urban fantasy, futuristic and everything in between.

Saturday 8 March 2014

Darklight On... Janni Nell



Today's Darklight On is... Janni Nell.
Welcome, Janni!






How did you come to write speculative fiction? What attracted you to the genre?


The chance to use my imagination without the restrictions of other genres. I just love being able to throw angels, fairies, mermaids etc into my stories.


Are you a plotter? Pantser? Or somewhere in-between?

I’m a pantser, who really wishes she could plot. It would make submitting partials so much easier. Unfortunately, whenever I try to plot, I lose interest in the story. I just love sitting down to work on a first draft and not knowing what’s going to come next.



Do have a favourite of your characters?

The fourteen-fingered elf, who works as a masseur in Night of the Dark Horse. I want one of those






What are you currently working on?


The first book in another humorous mystery series. I can’t say too much about this at the moment because it’s very much a work in progress.




What is your favourite part of the process of writing?

Despite the fact that I dislike plotting, I actually love the editing process. It’s so great to have a first draft. I love focusing on refining everything and making it better.



What can we expect from Janni Nell in the future?

Hopefully, the above mentioned mystery series.



Who are your favourite authors?

Susan Howatch, Sarah Dunant, Marta Perry, Tracy Chevalier, Carol McCleary, Samantha Hayes, Deanna Raybourn, Peter Robinson.



What are you currently reading?


For research: Secrets of a Real-Life Female Private Eye by Colleen Collins

For pleasure: The Anatomist’s Wife (A Lady Darby Mystery) by Anna Lee Huber


Do you have a favourite spec fiction movie or TV series?

Gattaca. Visually stunning, a great story and a wonderful hero. You gotta love a guy, who refuses to give up his dream despite the overwhelming odds against him succeeding. (No, he’s not a writer. ;-)) And that music… Oh my!



Do you have advice for emerging writers?

Um…don’t give up your day job? Probably not what you want to hear. I guess just to keep writing and learning. Remember that it’s a subjective business. Luck and timing can play a huge part in a book’s success or failure.


~~~

Thanks, Janni!



A teaser from Night of the Dark Horse



Just another typical week in the life of a paranormal investigator.

I had barely arrived in Ireland to investigate a pooka terrorizing the villagers of Dingaleen when I got called to ride the fairy horse myself. When a pooka calls, you answer—and hold on for dear life.

Unfortunately, the beast tossed me into a bog. Fortunately, my gorgeous guardian angel fished me out. Just barely.

You see, Casper is still weak from tangling with an evil spirit on our last case. So he's not even much help to me in the land o' the green. The powers-that-be are even hinting at retirement…

But I won't lose Casper. Not now. Not ever. As luck would have it, I have a chance, albeit a slim one, to save him and get the answers I need to solve the pooka case—if I just take a wee trip through Fairyland. Except angels aren't welcome there, humans can't eat, drink or sleep there, and time is running out. 

Buy links:   Amazon      Barnes & Noble
Author contacts:      Website      Facebook      Twitter










1 comment:

  1. Loved this because I am Irish. Best of luck with sales

    ReplyDelete

check out all our books on our dsdu-books shelf:
DarkSide DownUnder's book lists (dsdu-books shelf)