2024 COVERS

2024 covers

Welcome to the Dark Side!

We are writers mainly from Australia and New Zealand who write speculative fiction with romantic elements. Be it fantasy, paranormal, dark urban fantasy, futuristic and everything in between.

Saturday 3 August 2013

Darklight On... TF Walsh

Today's Darklight On is T.F. Walsh. Welcome, T.F.!






How did you come to write speculative fiction? What attracted you to the genre?

I grew up listening to bedtime Romanian stories that could only be compared to the Brothers Grimm tales, and ever since then folklore and mythology has fascinated me. These influences have trickled into my stories, and in particular Cloaked in Fur, which is based in Transylvania—a place seeped in legends. Now, when it comes to love, I’m a sucker for stories about two people from different worlds falling madly in love and fighting against the odds to stay together. This is the story I wanted to tell in my debut release, Cloaked in Fur; showing how far someone was willing to go to hold onto true love.




Tell us a little about Cloaked in Fur.

As a moonwulf, Daciana never expected to fall in love with a human. Hell, she never imagined she’d abandon her pack, endanger everyone around her, and break the worst rule possible. But she did.

A rogue werewolf is killing Daciana’s friends, and she sets on capturing the creature. She’ll do whatever it takes to stop the beast. The police and her boyfriend, Inspector Connell Lonescu, are starting to question her involvement in the murders, which is endangering the pack’s secret existence. But when the pack alpha kidnaps Connell, revealing the awful truth about the creature and its connection to the pack, Daciana must choose between saving the man she loves and saving her pack family from certain death.






Are you a plotter, pantser or somewhere in-between?

I’m definitely a plotter. I spend a good week or so plotting out each story down to chapter scenes, along with character profiles, settings, you name it, I’ve plotted it out. But, when it comes to writing the scene, my panster side takes over and that’s when I find myself sometimes steering away from the plot. I love it when my story derails, because I uncover nuggets of plot gold to weave into my story.




Do you have a favourite of your characters?

It has to be Daciana. She believes in true love so strongly that despite everything in her life being ripped away, she never falters in fighting for what she wants. I love her determination. And each time she gets beaten down, she gets back up a bit stronger.




What are you working on now?

Right now, I’m plotting book 2 of Cloaked in Fur. I’m also half way through a new young adult fantasy novel, which is made up of three parts and features six characters. It is set in a world filled with witches, steampunk monsters and magic, and at the heart of the story, there’s the struggle to find love.



What is your favourite part of the writing process?

Writing the first draft is my favourite. I have a rough plan of where I want the story to go, and there are no restrictions on where my imagination will take me. Plus, this is the time when I start discovering who my characters really are. I get to meet them, feel their desires, and how far they’d go to achieve them.



What can we expect from TF Walsh in the future?

Many more stories in the Cloaked in Fur series, and my young adult story, Cursecaster.



What are you currently reading?

Right now, I’m reading:

Gameboard of the Gods by Richelle Mead
The Book Thief by Markus Zusak
Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Mass
 


Do you have advice for emerging writers?

Join a writing group and find critique partners. Don’t be scared to share your written work because that’s the only way you’ll improve as a writer.


~~~

Thanks, Tania, and congratulations on the release of Cloaked in Fur which will be available from August 5 onwards.

To buy Cloaked in Fur, go to:
Amazon
Amazon UK
Barnes and Noble
iTunes
Crimson Romance website


Or, to find out more about TF Walsh, go to:
TF Walsh website
Twitter
Facebook
Pinterest
Goodreads
Amazon

2 comments:

  1. Hi Tania, Congratulations on the launch of your novel! It sounds fabulous! Cher

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Cheryse:)

    ReplyDelete

check out all our books on our dsdu-books shelf:
DarkSide DownUnder's book lists (dsdu-books shelf)