2024 COVERS

2024 covers

Welcome to the Dark Side!

We are writers mainly from Australia and New Zealand who write speculative fiction with romantic elements. Be it fantasy, paranormal, dark urban fantasy, futuristic and everything in between.

Saturday 18 December 2010

Darklight On…Janni Nell: Q&A


Welcome to DarkSider Janni Nell!

Great to be here. Thanks for having me.

How did you come to write speculative fiction? What attracted you to the genre? 
                                                                                       
I didn't find it. It found me. Paranormal things just keep popping into my manuscripts.


Your debut novel, Allegra Fairweather: Paranormal Investigator was released earlier this year with Carina Press. Can you tell us the process it took to get it there?  
                                                                                    
Several years ago Allegra Fairweather did the rounds of agents. There was a lot of interest but no cigar. I went on writing other manuscripts while Allegra had an extended vacation in my bottom drawer. When I heard about Carina Press (on our own paranormal loop - thanks guys) I figured I had nothing to lose by submitting. I was absolutely gobsmacked to be offered a contract.
 

Who are you favourite authors?

Susan Howatch, Lucy-Anne Holmes, Carrie Bebris, Robert Crais, Peter Robinson, Tracey Chevalier, Michelle Moran, Sarah Dunant, Nicci French, Lisa Gardner. Oddly enough none of these people write speculative fiction. (Unless you count Carrie Bebris who has paranormal elements in her books.)


What are you currently reading?

I've just finished Mara Purnhagen's YA novel "Past Midnight". Fabulous. Add her to my list of favourite authors. And she writes paranormal!



Do you have a favourite spec fiction movie or TV series?

"Gattaca" I love the idea of a character overcoming insurmountable odds to achieve his dream. And the soundtrack is as sublime as the visuals.


You attended RWAus in Sydney this year. How did it feel to appear as a published author?

As amazing as you'd imagine. Getting my first sale ribbon was one of the best moments of my life.


I love the cover of Allegra Fairweather – did you have any say in it?

I filled out an art fact sheet which contained various questions about setting and characters. The rest was up to the cover artist. Frauke from CrocoDesigns did a brilliant job. I love her work so much I'm getting her to redesign my website.


Do have a favourite of your characters?

Yep, it's a character called Orlando, who appears in book 2. He's a naughty, quirky kind of "guy".


What are you currently working on?

The third Allegra Fairweather book.


What can we expect from Janni Nell in the future?

The second Allegra Fairweather book will be released in 2011. (No news on a date yet.) I'm hoping to get more Allegra books published. I'm aiming for 10 which is a nice round number. Plus I have a half finished manuscript for another mystery series. Hopefully that will get published once it's finished.


Do you have advice for emerging writers?

Never give up. Keep working and learning your craft. Keep submitting. Be polite and co-operative. And remember it's subjective. What one person hates another will love.


~~~~~~
 Keep a look out for Janni's next Allegra Fairweather book, coming out in 2011 by Carina Press.

9 comments:

  1. Janni, congrats on your 3 books coming out with Carina! Wow, on planning 10 in the series, that's amazing. Do you plan to have the same characters appearing in each or does each book focus on a new couple?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Janni - congrats on the persistence - it really does pay off, doesn't it?

    Best of luck with the plans - hope Allegra sells lots so the whole series comes out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "And remember it's subjective." Definitely!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Kylie
    The same hero and heroine will appear in all the books. Yep, their relationship moves at a glacial pace.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Nicole - thanks for the good wishes.

    Hi Jenny - Yep, subjective is the name of the game.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooooh I like the gracial approach Janni. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats Janni,
    yet another book I have to check out - and lots more author names to have a squiz of too =))

    ReplyDelete
  8. hey Janni,

    I do love that cover. Congrats on the publication and i look forward to reading it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Eleni and Mel, thanks for the comments.

    Hi practimom, Hope you enjoy the book.

    ReplyDelete

check out all our books on our dsdu-books shelf:
DarkSide DownUnder's book lists (dsdu-books shelf)